|Prince of Persia: Kindred Blades|
|Designer(s)||Charles Jacob (programmer)|
|Writer(s)||Corey G. May|
|Series||The Sands of Time Trilogy|
puzzle-platformer, hack and slash
|Rating(s)||M for mature|
Prince of Persia 3, subtitled Kindred Blades, was the working title of the original concept sequel for Prince of Persia: Warrior Within. It was later scrapped and reworked into Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones, which maintains some of its gameplay mechanics, such as the "Speed Kill".
- "The third chapter of Ubisoft's continuing revival of the classic Prince of Persia series. The Prince of Persia, a seasoned warrior, returns from the Island of Time to Babylon with his love, Kaileena. Instead of the peace that he longs for, he finds his homeland ravaged by war and the kingdom turned against him. The Prince is rapidly captured and Kaileena has no choice but to sacrifice herself and unleash the Sands of Time in order to save him. Now cast out on the streets and hunted as a fugitive, the Prince soon discovers that past battles have given rise to a deadly Dark Prince, whose spirit gradually possesses him."
- —Official Description
After the events on the Island of Time, the Prince returns to the city of Babylon with his lover, Kaileena. However, instead of a peaceful kingdom, he finds his homeland ravaged by an unknown army of Sand Creatures and the people turned against him.
Though he attempts to fight against the army's leader (Revealed to be the Vizier), he is soon captured and Kaileena has no choice but to sacrifice herself to unleash the Sands of Time in order to save him. Now an outcast on the streets of his home and hunted as a fugitive, the Prince soon discovers that past battles have given rise to a deadly Dark Prince, whose spirit gradually possesses him through the Sands.
- Main article: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones
The initial trailer was first unveiled at E3 2005, it maintained the same "dark" tone that began with 2004's Prince of Persia: Warrior Within. Players would be able to switch between the two Prince characters, "Light Prince" and Dark Prince, at will in order to illustrate the different combat techniques employed for both characters.
It was speculated that the characters' actions would determine what end the players would receive at the end. The game would have been roughly seventeen hours long or longer in accordance with Warrior Within's gameplay length.
Gameplay would have included the ability to traverse the whole of Babylon's streets, backtrack use the rooftops to for safer routes from enemies in an open environment. The Prince would be able to use the Dagger of Time to travel back in time and the Amulet of Time to manipulate the present by slowing time.
One design element with regard to the "Dark Price" was the nature of his transformation. One early idea the developers worked with was the idea of fire. Whenever the "Light Prince" needed to transform into the "Dark Prince", he would start a fire and the agony of the fire would release the Sands of Time, allowing the transformation to take place.
The "Light Prince" would only regain control if the "Dark Prince" stepped into water. As the "Dark Prince", a halo of light would remain as a constant presence around his body. The world around the "Dark Prince" would gradually become more "sandy" and "grainy" as the game progressed; a conceptual way to represent how Sand Creatures saw the world around them.
- Play and master two distinct characters: Wield the powers and weapons of two master warriors with different combat styles, attitudes, and histories.
- Choose your way to kill: Master the expanded Free-Form Fighting system to destroy enemies in your own style; strangle enemies from afar with the deadly Daggertail; or surprise them with full-speed one-shot kills using a brand new stealth art. The choice is yours.
- Battle freely through Babylon: Dominate enemies on the perilous rooftops, dodge through chaotic streets, and ambush pursuers in dark, underground passageways.
- Immerse yourself in a dramatic story: Experience unparalleled depth in storytelling as you fight your way through a twisting tale filled with adrenaline, tension and discovery.
- Manipulate time to surprise enemies: Execute powerful attacks against entire armies by slowing down or rewinding time, or surprise them by using some all-new Sands of Time powers.
- Experience a masterful blend of gameplay: True to the Prince of Persia franchise, the game provides a variety of action combat, agility and story-driven puzzles - all masterfully blended together into a rich gaming experience.